Common Questions

← Back to Resources
  • Two women having a business meeting.

    Are workers employees?

    It is important to know whether a worker is employed or self-employed as there are many differences in the way in...
  • Night photograph of road markings for cyclists.

    Can my company buy me a new bicycle?

    The government introduced ‘cycle to work’ back in 1999. Broadly, this is an annual tax exemption that allows a business to loan bicycles and cycle safety equipment to employees as a tax-free benefit. This tax break has had a positive impact on workplace health and employee motivation and has encouraged new groups of people to take up physical activity. But can it work for small companies?

  • Friends drinking at a restaurant table.

    Can we deduct entertaining expenses?

    The tax rules on the deductibility of entertaining expenses are harsh and often misunderstood – the fact that the...
  • HMRC Self-Assessment guide.

    How to calculate your payments on account

    The deadline for filing the self-assessment tax return for 2018/19 is 31 January 2020. This is also the date by which...
  • A glass sand-timer filled with red sand.

    When and how to incorporate

    Over the last decade, corporation tax rates for most companies – irrespective of size - have fluctuated between 19%...
  • Gold Stag Accounts logo.

    How do I calculate my working from home expenses?

    We look at best the ways of calculating working from home expenses for Limited Companies and Sole Traders.

  • Brightly coloured dice labelled “VAT” on a stack of Euro coins.

    VAT registration – sooner or later?

    Once a business is up and running, the next major administrative area to be faced often concerns the subject of VAT....
  • Three Scrabble letters reading “VAT”.

    When should a business register for VAT?

    All traders – whether sole traders, partnerships, or limited companies – are obliged to register to charge and pay...
← Previous