Need a hand with your Self Assessment tax return?

February 20th, 2023

2022/23 Self Assessment Tax returns from ÂŁ180 inc VAT

How can we help?


We would advise submitting your return at the earliest opportunity so you can be prepared for any tax bill & this allows us to provide you with the very best advice.

(priced offer available until 17th September 2023)

In order for us to draft your personal tax return we would be grateful if you could provide what is relevant to you from the list below.

What information do I need to provide?


For PAYE, Self Employment & more see here


You’ll get a penalty if you need to send a tax return and you miss the deadline for submitting it or paying your bill.

You’ll get a penalty of £100 if your tax return is up to 3 months late. You’ll have to pay more if it’s later, or if you pay your tax bill late. You’ll also be charged interest on late payments.

You can appeal against a penalty if you have a reasonable excuse.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How to get my UTR number?

A: Your UTR is a Unique Taxpayer Reference that you get when you register as self-employed. It consists of ten digits (sometimes with a letter K at its end) and is issued to you by HMRC.

If you have registered for self-assessment in the past with HMRC you can find your UTR number:

  1. On the front page of previous your tax returns

  2. On any Self Assessment documents, HMRC has sent you such as notices to file a return and payment reminders

  3. In your online government gateway account under the "self-assessment" section.

You can get it by registering for self-assessment at HMRC. The process consists of 4 key steps.

Before you start make sure you have your National Insurance number to hand.

  1. Register for HMRC's online service at the Government Gateway

  2. Then use the service to enrol for self-assessment

  3. After enrollment HMRC will send your UTR activation code in the post

  4. Activate your UTR number online using the activation code.

HMRC says your UTR activation code will arrive via post within 8 weeks. In our experience, it happens much faster. It is important to remember that once you have the code you have 28 days to use it for UTR activation.

Q: Can I be both employed and self-employed?

A: Yes!
You may need to register as a sole trader or if you work for a company you may need to check that you are paying the correct amount of tax. 
If you own your own business you are actually both an owner
("shareholder") and employee of your own company ("director"), but not self-employed. 
Please see our Annual Financial Accounts page for more information.

Q: What are the most common self-assessment mistakes?

  1. Forgetting about deadlines

  2. Forgetting about tax relief

  3. Forgetting about payments on account

  4. Getting your tax code wrong

  5. Forgetting to declare salary, benefits, and reimbursements from PAYE

Get in touch today - message us